Thursday, February 21, 2019

Gag (Me) Order

I can tell you how to maintain your equilibrium in these times of insanity. Don't listen to the news. Stay off of social media. Get out of the house. Socialize. Create. I just can't do them myself. One of my very creative, serene friends does all of these. She refuses to let anyone talk about current events, especially politics in her presence. At first, it was annoying, but now it makes sense. Her house is a haven from the every day craziness.

I am a Twitter addict. Every morning, I wake up  to check it. Sometimes I awaken in the middle of the night to check it. All I want to see is that Donald Trump has been arrested or has choked on a cheeseberder. My hope is that when either of these events finally happen, and our country is no longer plagued with this sham of a president, things will return to normal, and I will be able to log off of Twitter.

What would I do if I wasn't absorbed in this social media platform? I would meditate. I would be more fit. My blog would be updated every day. My cannabis consumption would decrease. My sound sleep would increase. My apartment would be cleaner. My depression would subside.

I know i am an addict, because Twitter is getting in the way of me living life. At the moment, I am unemployed. I have loads of down time and instead of using it wisely, I get totally sucked in.  It is a fight for me sometimes to get out and be with humans who aren't talking politics. Or even humans who are, as long as they are humans.

I logged onto Twitter in the summer of 2015, just as the presidential campaign was heating up. I checked in periodically but there was nothing compelling to keep me engaged. I got really absorbed in the summer of 2016, during the conventions. The debates between Hillary Clinton and Trump grabbed me and didn't let me go. Once he was elected, my eyes barely left my phone screen, as I lay in my bed, unable to stop crying and vomiting. I still have those moments. I am a snowflake.

The big news this morning was Roger Stone going to court because he posted a threatening picture on Instagram. He said he thought it was a Celtic symbol. The judge imparted a complete gag order on him, but he should have had his bail revoked and gone to jail.

Also, the Secretary of Labor has been found guilty of fucking up the Jeffrey Epstein case. The details of the Epstein case are indelible in my mind. The secretary was accused of obstruction of justice.

The president is tweeting about the actor who hired people to inflict a hate crime on him, but refuses to address the fact that coast guard officer was found to have weapons and a hit list on him.

Any of these things would have shut down the government prior to this administration. This president literally shuts down the government. Now these formerly shocking events are ho hummed away.

The news exhausts me but i can't look away. If I do, who knows what will happen?

My goal is to spend more time outside my phone, interacting with real human beings, talking about something other than current events. Will that time ever come?

No comments:

Post a Comment

End of the Adventure

All that glamour couldn't last, and it didn't. I was let go from the place a couple of weeks ago. It's a relief, what with the v...