Saturday, May 18, 2019

Winter returns

Full moon, weird weather pattern over the past few days is making it feel like the middle of winter. I wore two sweat shirts at several points today because the a/c had been turned down to 63 degrees. Fingerless gloves were what I needed, as well. I am always grateful for my apartment, but especially on cold, wet nights like this. It's 54 degrees. I love it. And this weather is great for the cannabis business.

Today was really busy, from the minute we opened. People hurried in to get their supplies before the rain started. I was sure that once it started raining, the lines would die down. But that didn't happen. The lines were long, and the delivery drivers were busy all day.

Finally, I started receiving some of the swag that the vendors give out to get us to sell their stuff. Made out on medicated gummies. Today, I got an actual goodie bag filled with t-shirts which are too small for me to ever wear, and product, including CBD gummies and a vape cartridge.

Yesterday, as she was leaving, a woman yelled at the guard that she needed her medicine because of all these states taking away women's rights. I felt for her. That's what I feel like doing to random cashiers and security guards, snap them awake to what's happening. But that would be cruel.

That's why I like where I am. I have not heard one thing mentioned about current events or politics, except when Kyle, who was a poly-sci major, told me to be sure to vote in the participatory budgeting process that we have in Vallejo. Otherwise, the talk is of mundane matters, such as what is for lunch, where you're going for lunch, what edibles were eaten the night before, how someone "mistakenly" had a THC rich edible for breakfast, rats and bugs, how so many people are getting sick, and other normal work place conversation.

It's one of the highlights of being invisible, doing my job. The people I work with are so young that it is hard to not feel maternal. I've been here for two months, and I know that LJ's baby is due in October, Onyx bites his nails to the quick, and Jordan, a big, sturdy guy who seems so self assured is, as he put it, "deathly afraid of cancer and cataracts." That's why he likes cannabis. It quells the anxiety.

They know I am there, so it's not sneaky eavesdropping, but it's so funny to be so normalized that they don't stop talking when I am around. Much of the time, I am in my counting zone, mezmerized by all the different strains (today's new one: Jurassic Park   https://www.leafly.com/products/details/western-cultured-jurassic-ogk.  But I do hear my share of juice. I know stuff. I will end up knowing more, and wishing I didn't. As a matter of fact, the owner's assistant chatted with me about the vermin infestation. She told me it wasn't a new thing, which grossed me out even more.

She started at the place two months before I did, and the budtenders were bugging her to talk to Greg for them. I am so glad I know that back ground, as if I would ever get involved in another advocacy campaign regarding the health and safety of the place of my employment. Lori, my colleague, said she told them to take it a step at a time, and they didn't. In their defense, it's been going on for at least a year. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out. Will someone have to be infected with rabies for him to take this seriously?

No comments:

Post a Comment

End of the Adventure

All that glamour couldn't last, and it didn't. I was let go from the place a couple of weeks ago. It's a relief, what with the v...