Saturday, February 23, 2019

For many years, before I lived in California, I lived in a fairly small east coast town in Florida. Life was idyllic, and the gorgeous weather drew tourists from all over the world. Vero Beach is a gracious town, like a prim southern belle. Spanish moss drip from the old oaks that provide shade from the warm sun.

California is just about as far away from Vero, geographically, and in so many other ways. Vallejo is completely the opposite of Vero and that is why I ended up here. Not that I don't miss Vero and the amazing friends who got me through so many trying times, but missing something doesn't mean I have to go back.

In the three years I’ve lived in California, I have been living in a dream state,  In California, there is more to life than grinding work and consumption. After living at sea level for fifteen years, I am dazzled by the hills. I drive on windy, hilly roads, finally understanding what inspired the grateful dead. The landscape here is psychedelic. I’ve seen produce here that i have never seen before - yellow raspberries; brussel sprouts on the stalk; jackfruit in Chinatown; twenty-seven different kinds of beets at the Berkeley Bowl.

The place I came from is very conservative in every way. Of course politics is the obvious topic. But there are other ways

This list is pretty comprehensive:


VEROvsVALLEJO
Save the Lagoon
No Orcem
Art TrailArt Cars
Elite Hoi Polloi
Cocktail Parties
House Concerts
OrangesLemons
BeefGrapes
Pubs
Dispensaries
Manicured Free Range
Neat Messy
Conservative
Progressive
RepublicanDemocrat
TrumpSanders
Sports BarsWine Bars
StarbucksMoschetti
Tear downRenovate
FlamingoesTurkeys
UptightRelaxed
Window Shopping
Window Art
BeachBay
SwampHills
Homogeneous
Heterogeneous
UniformDiverse
HibiscusLotus

No comments:

Post a Comment

End of the Adventure

All that glamour couldn't last, and it didn't. I was let go from the place a couple of weeks ago. It's a relief, what with the v...